Saturday 13 June 2009

Bali belly and Sunburn!

Today I woke up early to catch the morning swell/ripple at kuta. Had some banana pancakes which tasted a little odd. Definently no huki lau! Headed to the beach paddled out and caught a few wee waves. All was going well when it hit. Yes its Bali Belly. I knew I would receive a visit sooner or later! After this memorable experience I had lunch in KFC then surfed again in the evening. Met a guy called James surfing. Ironicly he dropped in on me on a wave but it turns out he is cool. His girlfriend is from Derry. All going well we may head down south soon but who knows. Later that night i remembered to take my malaria tablet only to have it stick in my throat! This was an unpleasant experience as you can imagine. Drank litres of water but still felt awfull. Obviously a mcdonalds made me feel much better! Had a sleepness light mostly i think to the malaria tablet, apparently they have a strange affect on you.
Last night was so hot so barely slept again which sucks and to make matters worse just as i drifted to sleep guess who bangs my door? housekeeping , drunk friends returning from a night out? of course not, the guy i was talking to about a surf trip in the street the previous day, who else! How the hell he knew which hotel i was in and which room i was in is beyond me, i assume the locals share info to screw the tourists as much as possible. Obviously i wasnt as happy to see him as he was me so he didnt stay long.
It wasnt all bad as i was supposed to meet james for a surf anyways. Ran to the beach, met james then we searched for the boat which marcus told me about that takes you to airports. Airports isa reef that breacks about a mile offshore so its a heck of a paddle without a boat. Paid 50000 ruppiah then motored out on a traditional balinese skiff with an outboared motor attached. The guy on the boat with us was from germany and had moved to bali indefinently working as a tatoo artist on the street. His girlfriend was Balinese and they were both ok surfers.Arrived at the reef jumped out and realised we cud actually touch the ground. Hmmm. Paddled into the line up, move into position and dropped into a nice waste high plus left hander. It wasn't the longest ride of my life but it was my first real wave in Bali and for that it was memorbale! Of course it was the first wave of the set so i got stuck inside for like 10 mins before i realised i wasnt surfing portrush and that if i paddled horrizontally to the break i could get out of the way of the uncoming waves. Today was a great lesson in duck diving! Spent about 2 or 3 hours surfing here. Caught some great waves and only had one wipeout which is unusuall for me and i didnt even hit the reef! Sounds great and even though i was beside the most competitive japanese couple i held my own.As we took the skiff back to the beach it seemed like the perect surf day. However, hello sunburn! Im pretty sure ive said i dont get sunburned, but i do! Bigtime! My face is like red/ purple so ive got water oreos and some stuff for burns and it looks like im gonna have to spend a day or two in the flat, which is a shame as there is a big swell on the way and we were thinking of heading down south. Time to think of plan B!

No comments:

Post a Comment