Sunday 14 June 2009

And on the seventh day He rested!

So yes I rested today mostly because of the sunburn but it was nice to take a day off and recoup! Yesterday after the sunburn i had a pretty torrid time of things. Pretty much spent the day lying on my bed covered in some weird after sun type lotion which i'm sure was useless. On most holidays sun burn isn't that traumatic, but when you are on your own, ten thousand miles away from home with no phone, lying in a sweaty room with no air con and only a single fan to help cool you down it isn't quite so pleasant! What made it worse was that i couldnt meet James and Ciara. This sucked as i was gonna travel with them to some of the more isolated surf spots on the south of the island. Sure i couldt go myself but its always nice to have company and good company at that. So i lay in bed feeling miserable , i actually thought at one stage i was gonna pass out or something. Im not sure what the affects of serious sun burn are but im sure i was the most sun burned man alive for that moment. So my day was boring. Not one I will remeber fondly. I read most of James Caans book which was ok. Very similar to most entreprenuarial esq books, ie come from nothing now have everything this is how I spend it on good things type deal but it was ok, it kept me sane so thankyou Mr Caan, although thats not your real name is it...
Anyhow today was equally as bad as yesterday for most parts. Spent the day lying in bed. Purchased more aftersun but im sure this stuff had gone of in the sun as it was very watery. Lay about all day gutted that i was going to have to plan and travel south solo as i had no way of getting in contact with James and Ciara. We dont have phones out here and as i was unable to meet them yesterday had no way of contacting them so i was stumped. But then.... knock knock knock. James Ciara and there american friend Gerard turned up randomly at my hotel! I guess i must have mentioned where i was staying but even so it was awsome and made me feel alot better about heading to some of the outter reef surf spots. Surfing unfamiliar reefs feels much safer when you have someone with you, whether they can help or not it just makes you feel more comfortable.
So we headed out and had a drink and a chat and discussed our plans. We plan to head to Bingin a surf spot overlooked by huge cliffs and i think a hotel. Apparently its actually carved into the rock and only costs like 2 quid a night so im really intrigued! Our transport cost us 70000 ruppiah or about 4 quid.
When Marcus told me about indo the one thing he said was NOT to get stuck in Kuta. I guess in a way i have. Ive been here for 5 days and apart from the surf its 5 days too many. The busy streets with hawkers and people grabbing you and constantly asking you if you want transport are not for me. Having sunburn and feeling sick etc added to my distaste for the place but i have never felt more ready to leave somewhere when travelling. I guess now the real exploration of Indonesia begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment