Monday 29 June 2009

Labuanbajo

So we arrived in Flores at Labuanbajo. As mentioned it has a much more rustic feel here and hasn't been spoiled yet by tourists. Currently im reading the beach and i can understand the way the travelers feel in that. It seems most of the travel hotspots , thailand, australia etc etc have been ruined by 18 year olds looking for package adventure and holidays. Of course there is nothing wrong with this as I have done that myself and it is fun but the problem then comes when you want to move past this. Where do you look for something truely unexplored and untainted by western toursits. One of the things I like about the port here is that the locals still do the things I imagined the would have done hundreds of years ago. They fish!In the streets there is a foul stench of rotting and fresh fish alike being between the locals. To me it is a breath of fresh air and I hope long will it remain. It seems the fallout from young travellers has already spread from thailand to bali and in parts of lombok and it seems like it will continue to spread untill it reaches new guinea reaching australia. Hopefully this won't happen as the untouched regions I encounter are always my favourite and I feel privledged to have been there. Komodo was one of these suprises and I fear in ten more years it may be spoiled.
This brought up the topic of Papua and Papua New Guinea. I had read somewhere that the inner highlands of papua are some of the remaining unexplored areas of the world alongside parts of the African jungle and the Amazon. My dad mentioned that an SAS team tried to venture into Papua but got stuck in a valley or something, it may have been scare tactics but it interested me more.
Having met James and Jarod in particular both have an interest in reaching the unknown and who knows maybe in the next few years we will venture into the highlands and see what its all about. I hear however arachnid phobia was filmed there so we best be on guard!
Anyways yesterday we sat around planning to go to a whaling village where they still use traditional hunting methods (ie bamboo spears) to catch wales! We had heard through the grapevine that one could accompany them on hunting trips which appealed to us greatly. However the village was 200 km away which in Indonesia equates to at least 10 hours travel and alongside upset stomachs its not pleasant. Anyway we didn't have the time so we decided to sit in a local restaraunt literally all day, using their shower too and relax. The next day (today) we would get the boat. Of course it isn't working. It has broke down or something so we are no waiting for another boat to arrive so our 28 hour bus/boat journey to bali is not going to be 32 hours and the majority of which will now be at night. Goodtimes.
It wasnt all bad I guess and doing nothing gave us a little time to relax and although there was 3 of us jammed into our room last night, with no blankets but an abundance of mozzies I feel more rested and ready to take on the journey! Bon voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment